In God of War (2018), Nornir Chests are a type of collectible that are tracked in all the regions you can explore. These chests offer treasures that can upgrade your maximum health or rage – but to unlock them you will have to solve puzzles. Here are all of the Nornir Chests catalogued by region, in order in which you can access them.
1. Idunn Apple Location: During The Marked Trees on the Hunt With Atreus objective, you’ll have the option to go off the path.
Back at the crossroad ruins, head straight instead of left where the deer went to find a big chest called a Nornir Chest. The chest however is locked, and requires you to find and break the three rune seals that match the ones on the large tomb.
You can find the “C” looking rune to the right of the tomb, the “N” looking rune in a smaller coffin on the left.
If you turn around, look along the left wall to spot the “R” looking rune behind some rocks and bushes next to the stairs. Breaking them all will allow you to collect an Idunn Apple, which can increase your maximum health.increase your maximum health.
1. Idunn Apple Location: During the Path to the Mountain first Escape the Ruins objective.
In the marketplace ruins after killing your first Revenant, climb up to where the path splits and go right to find a Nornir Chest near a bridge to the exit of the ruins. The “N” looking rune is located just behind it – throw your axe to break it.
The others lie over the bridge – head back to the cliff overlooking the bridge to spot and break both weakpoints to lower the bridge. Now you can look to the left of the bridge entrance for the “R” looking run high up on a ledge behind a chest.
The last “C” looking rune is behind a gate further past the bridge, but you can spy it through a hole looking left as you cross and hit it by throwing your axe.
2. Horn of Blood Mead Location: During the Path to the Mountain Proceed Through the Gate to the Mountain objective, inside the cave with the spiked doors and ceiling.
Entering the spike ceiling chamber after Brok’s Shop, pass through to the other side where a ledge leads to the exit. Before leaving, turn around to hop up a small ledge. As the ceiling descends, a new platform appears that you can leap to and find locked Nornir Chest. The “N” looking rune is found behind you up in the top corner.
The “C” looking rune is found through the broken spiked wall on the way to a chest full of Hacksilver.
As for the “R” looking rune, it’s hidden behind wooden beams to the left of the chest – you need to raise the platform slightly by throwing your axe at the panels below.
3. Idunn Apple Location: During the Path to the Mountain Hunt with Atreus objective, right after the troll Brenna Daudi boss fight.
In the area where you kill the Troll in The River Pass, look off to the left side of the arena for a cliff overlooking the distant mountain where the Nornir Chest is. The “N” looking rune is found just behind it – but it can’t be broken. When it stops ringing, the seal will reappear so you need to be quick to find the others.
The “R” looking rune is found just to the left above the waterfall, and the “C” looking rune is located back upstream behind one of the giant ribs.
Hit them all quickly and you’ll unlock the Nornir Chest.
4. Horn of Blood Mead Location: This is only accessible when you return to the Witch’s Cave for a second time for a main story mission.
SPOILERS IN THIS SECTION.
When you can return to the Witch’s Cave with Light and Shock Arrows, head down the path towards where you pushed the pallet into the water to find new blue crystals below that create a path to a Nornir Chest. The runes are quite spread out here. The “N” looking rune is opposite the Nornir Chest next to a coffin encased in red sap on a ledge.
Look to the right of the Nornir Chest to find a blue crystal you can shoot to make a path to a Shatter Crystal, and throw it at the wall to the left of the chest to find the “R” looking rune to the left of the Hidden Chamber.
Finally, the “C” looking rune is in the large well past the red sap wall next to the lift.
5. Idunn Apple Location: After you have the ability needed to manipulate the Winds of Hel, Return to the Witch’s Cave and head back up the well out to where the turtle resides, and look at the giant arch you summoned using the sand bowl (the runes can be seen from the ledge above). The right side of the arch has Winds of Hel on it, and you can transfer it to the left side of the arch. Now head up the chain to the high ridge above where you spotted the runes for the sand bowl, and grab the Winds before turning and running down the path and placing them below a rune mechanism for a moment – noting that it will start cycling runes. Take them the rest of the way to a receptacle behind the Nornir Chest to activate it – revealing three “B” symbols rotated around. You’ll need to make sure the top of the spinning mechanism above the Winds of Hel receptacle has the “B” looking rune, the one below it has the “^^” looking rune, then leave the winds in the final rune receptacle until it cycles to the backwards “B” looking rune before taking the Winds to the chest to open it.
Once you get to the Shores of Nine, a few hidden areas become accessible along the shores, which are optional to visit. The following are those areas.
1. Idunn Apple Location: This is hard to miss. Head to the shore of the Forgotten Caverns to the north west in the Lake of Nine. It’s on the shore to the left. The runes are on bells on the pillar to the left of it (with an Odin’s Raven perched on top). You must hit all three bells in quick succession with your axe to successfully unlock the chest.
1. Idunn Apple Location: You’ll see the the Nornir Chest as soon as you dock at Lookout Tower, south east in the Lake of Nine. The three bells are encased in spikes, which must be lowered to ring. Throw the Leviathan Axe at the orange wooden spinner to lower the spikes.
The first bell is to the left of the chest. The second bell is to the right of the chest.
The third bell is to the right of the chest at the top of a waterfall.
Ring all three bells quickly so that they all ring at the same time to unlock the chest.
1. Blood Mead Location-In the clearing after Sindri’s Shop you can find this Nornir Chest on the right.
Kill the monsters to clear the area before opening the chest. Two of the three bells needed to unlock the chest are behind it to the left and right, respectively.
The third is off to the left at the top of the waterfall.
Throw your axe into the lone bell first and then quickly ring the two near the chest. With the chest unlocked, you may grab the Horn of Blood Mead inside.
1. Blood Mead Location: Veithurgard is accessible only after opening the gate in the slightly north east of the Lake of Nine from Stone Falls nearby. The locked chest is just south of what looks like a stonehenge circle on the map, on a path you’re sure to come across.
Find the first rune on the other side of the bridge from where you came from – it’s by the fallen tree if you look across the gap, toward the chest.
Find the next to the right of the chest on a ledge.
The last you’ll find by looking through the openings of the stonehenge structure.
1. Idunn Apple Location:The Light Elf Outpost is only accessible after the water has dropped a second time. It’s in the north west of the Lake of Nine. The Nornir Chest is easily visible up on a slope as you enter the island. Destroy the wooden barricade below it to reveal the blue crystal, and have Atreus shoot it to create a bridge.
You’ll see the “R” immediately to the left of it.
Continue along the path to the right and look at the decrepit remains of a bridge where the seagulls are to find the first rune ‘n’.
When you continue along the path, across a few light bridges, nearly to the top, you’ll see the last rune, the ‘C’, in plain view just beyond a chain.
1. Horn of Blood Mead Location:
You’ll encounter this Nornir Chest during the Path to the Mountain – Continue Towards the Mountain objective, right after meeting Sindri. This Nornir Chest has nearby runes on strange mechanisms nearby with panels you can hit with your axe to change the look of the rune.
Match the one above the chest to the “E” rune, head back down and hit the other mechanism to match the “D” rune.
Head up right to where the poison chest is and look the other way to spot a Scorn Pole blocking the last mechanism, which you can freeze then hit the panel to match the backwards “B” rune. Return to find another Horn of Blood Mead.
1. Idunn Apple Location:
You should see this locked rune chest right after the The Light of Alfheim – Reactivate the Ringed Temple Bridge objective initiates, inside the Ringed Temple Trench. To the side you’ll find a locked Nornir Chest – but the runes seem nowhere to be found. Crossing to the other side you’ll spot a coffin up on a ledge you can’t reach, and a rune is hiding nearby.
To find them all, look for a wheel mechanism nearby and slowly lower the central floor with it. You’ll spot a gear as well as an “R” looking Rune – so freeze the gear and drop down to punch the rune, then look where you dropped down from to spot a “C” looking rune to punch as well.
Now return to the wheel and completely lower both the middle and outer platforms, then look behind you to spot the last “N” looking rune, and hop up on the ledge to break it so you can unlock the Nornir Chest. Be sure to also yank your axe back when standing on the platform where the last rune was, as it will bring you up to the Coffin holding Runic Forearm Bracers and Soft Svartalfheim Steel.
2. Horn of Blood Mead Location:
As soon as The Light of Alfheim – Find Another Way Into the Temple initiates, you can find this locked Nornir Chest. From the inactive door, go left down a small path to spot some of the Rune Bells that signify a Nornir Chest.
It’s located behind a blocked door, but if you look from the left side of the door you can spot a second pulsating core on the right – and hit both to clear the doorway to the chest.
The “N” looking rune is right above it, while the “C” and “R” runes are just outside straight and to the right – be sure to hit them fast to unlock the chest.
3. Horn of Blood Mead Location:
You’ll find this chest near the end of The Light of Alfheim – Destroy the Hive and Claim the Light objective, in the room with the locked blue door. Place the crystal you should have on the pedestal in the middle of the room. It will create a bridge above you, allowing you to access the Nornir Chest there.
The “R” looking rune is found just behind the chest, while the “C” looking rune is to the left through a broken window past the dead body of an elf.
Finally, turn back the way you came to find the “N” looking rune hanging over the platforms going back down. You can hit the first two while standing in front of the chest, then sprint right to hit the last. Hitting all of them quickly will unlock the Nornir Chest to get you a Horn of Blood Mead.
4. Idunn Apple Location:
You’ll have access to this optional, hidden area – Light Elf Shore – to the south east of the Ringed Temple, during The Light of Alfheim – Return to Midgard objective. The area will not be named on your map even after stepping foot on its shore. From beyond the first gate, take a left along a path to a gazebo with a Nornir Chest overlooking the river leading to the Ringed Temple.
The hanging bell seals here have no markings so it’s a game of trial and error.
The correct bells are located behind the chest to the left, directly to the right of the chest, and directly in front of the chest in the doorway.
1. Horn of Blood Mead Location:
After entering The Mountain and unlocking the secret door to the right by solving the riddle, take the path into a large cavern area, and go under a bridge to climb up a ledge.
Take the path along the left to a wooden wall that’s hiding another blue crystal you can shoot to raise a path up to a Nornir Chest. The runes don’t show, but they are painted in red on the walls above.
Head back down the ramp to switch the rune here to the “R” looking symbol. The one below the high bridge next to the chest should be the “n” looking symbol.
There’s one more high up to the left of the higher bridge you are on – get close to the far brazier and aim a bit high to switch it to the “B” looking rune.
This will unlock the Nornir Chest to reveal a Horn of Blood Mead.
2. Idunn Apple Location:
You’ll find this during Inside the Mountain – after fighting The Mountain Terror.
After defeating the dragon and re-entering the mountain, make your way up the path until you reach a tall room with a bridge you can raise and lower, with several Reavers praying to a Nornir Chest.
Head back down past the Nornir Chest the Reavers were praying to and throw a Shatter Crystal at the Red Sap Wall to enter a room with a Jotnar Shrine.
Once inside, look up to the right to find the “N“ looking rune.
Head back up the bridge and look to the side of the bridge to spot the “C” looking rune to the side of some scaffolding. On the other side of the bridge you came up is a wheel mechanism you can use to raise the bridge back up to where you had to explode the world tree sap.
Take out your axe and freeze the gear nearby and hold it in place, and go up and look right to find the “R” looking rune. Return back down to the chest and open it to get another Idunn Apple.