What’s included and where to buy.
Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition is set to launch on January 16, 2018 for PlayStation 4 and PC. Before you plunk down your hard-earned money, you might be wondering what you’ll get for your trouble. Below you’ll find everything you need to know about where you can preorder the game, how much it costs, and what retailer-exclusive bonuses to expect.
First off, why is Street Fighter V getting a new release at all? For starters, it was a pretty barebones game when it launched in 2016. It only came with 16 fighters and a meager selection of modes. Capcom has kept busy since then, adding new characters and modes through free updates and character passes you can buy using in-game currency or real money.
Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition comes with all of the content previously released, including the 12 additional fighters from the Seasons 1 and 2. In addition to all of that, Arcade Edition contains the following new content:
- Arcade Mode – choose from six different paths themed after classic Street Fighter games.
- Gallery – unlock hundreds of illustrations as you play through Arcade Mode.
- Extra Battle – complete timed challenges to obtain exclusive costumes throughout 2018.
- New V-Triggers – each character will have two V-Triggers, adding even more depth to the combat system.
- New Visuals – the user interface is being redesigned with new color schemes, revised menus and exciting pre-and-post-fight effects.
Note: If you already have Street Fighter V, you’ll receive the new content above as a free update. However, the free update does not include the 12 fighters from Seasons 1 and 2, which remain paid DLC for owners of the base Street Fighter V.
Got all that? With that out of the way, let’s get into which stores have special bonuses, and who has the best deal.
No Collector’s Edition
Capcom isn’t offering any special collector’s editions for this release. But if you want a little something extra, preordering from GameStop will get you two costume packs detailed below. But Amazon and Best Buy are a little cheaper, so it’s up to you if you want the costumes or want to save a few dollars.
Price: $40 ($32 preorder price for Amazon Prime members)
- 20% off your preorder of Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition with Amazon Prime ($32 instead of $40).
Price: $40 ($32 for Gamers Club Unlocked members)
- 20% off your preorder of Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition with Gamers Club Unlocked ($32 instead of $40).
- 30th Anniversary Costumes: Guile, Karin, M. Bison, Ibuki
- Nostalgia Costumes: Ibuki, Juri, Alex, Akuma, Kolin
- $5 off the suggested retail price
As usual, Amazon offers the cheapest price on Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition. But this time around GameStop is the only retailer with an exclusive bonus item. So if you’re looking to pick the game up, it really boils down to whether those 8 costumes are worth $1 each to you or not.
Chris Reed is a freelance writer for IGN. You can follow him on Twitter @_chrislreed.